Amangalla is a gracious resort on Sri Lanka’s fabled south coast, housed within the colonial-era buildings of the Galle Fort. The oldest operating hotel in Asia, having first opened its doors as the New Oriental Hotel in 1863, it reflects the elegance of the colonial period dating back to the 1600s, when Dutch settlers strolled the town’s cobbled streets.
Being welcomed inside Amangalla’s Great Hall, or Zaal, as it was known by the Dutch, is like stepping back in time. Its soaring fin de siècle ceilings, overhead fans and chandeliers, not to mention the veranda facing the treelined street, speak of days when travel was a past-time enjoyed only by a fortunate few. The hotel features many of its original furniture pieces including four-poster beds and pettagama chests. It also provides the perfect base for exploring the rich heritage of the town and the scenic countryside and picturesque villages around Galle, as well as the wildlife reserves and beaches of southwest Sri Lanka.
Amangalla’s 29 bedrooms, chambers and suites are decorated in tasteful colonial style with carefully chosen antiques. Three-hundred-year-old Burmese teak floorboards still shine with polished warmth, and wide shuttered windows open to offer views over Galle Fort or the hotel’s lush gardens. Situated within the resort’s gardens, the two-storey Garden House features a private terrace with leafy, treetop views.
Rates per suite per night, double or single occupancy, daily breakfast, afernoon tea by the pool, mini bar (excluding alcohol), 19,95% government tax and 10% service charge included
|Bedroom||625,00 USD||Suite||1 000,00 USD|
|Garden Bedroom||690,00 USD||Amangalla Suite||1 125,00 USD|
|Chamber||815,00 USD||The Garden House||1 125,00 USD|
|Verandah Chamber||875,00 USD|
- Ayurveda Experience package: 3-nighs packages, including cconsultations with Ayurvedic doctor to diagnose your dosha and to design a personalized treatment pla, Ayurvedic treatments, daily Hatha yoga class, daily personalized Ayurvedic breakfast with herbal tea, use of 'The Baths' hydrotherapy pools, steam room and sauna, and an Ayurveda booklet.
- Discover Galle offer: for a minimum stay of 3 nights, receive a complimentary visit to the Handunugoda Tea Plantation once during stay and a tour of the Fort with butler once during stay.
- Aman's Fort & Beach Journey package: 5- or 7-nights package, with a minimum stay or 2/3 nights at Amangalla and 2/3 nights at Amanwella, including one inter-resort transfer with visit en route to the Handunugoda Tea Plantation, one excursion and one Spa treatment at each resort, and in addition for the 7-nights package, complimentary half board (breakfast and choice of lunch or dinner).
|Outdoor swimming pool||Sightseeing tours of Galle & Fort Galle||Tour of Rhummassala headland|
|Discovering village life||Temple visits & Tea plantation tours||Whale watching expeditions|
|Bicycle tours||The Baths (Amangalla Spa)||Barber shop|
|Yoga & Meditation sessions||Steam room & Sauna||Personalized guest services|
|Meeting rooms and facilities||Car rental with driver||24-hour room service|
|Laundry service||Baby-sitting service||Computer with Internet access|
- Explore on foot or by bicycle the town of Galle and the Fort, and don’t miss the colourful fruit market and the bustle of Main Street, which well worth experiencing.
- Visit the Handunugoda Tea Plantation and taste a cup of tea from the plantation, including the unique “White Tea” that Handunugoda produces.
- An exceptional service that has made the reputation of Amanresorts
The Dining Room : serves breakfast, lunch and dinner, and provides a choice of international and traditional Sri Lankan home-cooked dishes.
The Zaal : the entry point to the resort offers relaxed seating within, as well as on the veranda; the menu offers light meals and snacks in the morning, and afternoon tea is served daily.
The Pool Courtyard : relaxed dining for breakfast and lunch, and a perfect place for a private candlelit dinner.
The Baths (Amangalla's name for the Spa) recapture memories of a bygone era of 'taking the waters', restoring the body and soothing the mind. The five softly lit treatment chambers lead off a descending arched hallway. Gentlemen's and Ladies' dressing rooms lead to saunas, steam rooms and hydrotherapy pools whose specifically placed jet massage stimulate the entire body. With candlelit recesses, tall ceilings and traditional archways, the hydrotherapy area is an experience in ancient indulgences.
From facial mask combined with a pedicure until Ayurvedic massage, each treatment reveals the talents of caring therapists, which will be complemented by the unique experience of Amangalla bathing.